This hurricane season, increased moisture from rains or flooding could increase the likelihood of mold and mildew growth indoors. While these fungi have their differences, they both develop in moist or damp conditions. When left unchecked, mold and mildew could cause illnesses and may even compromise structural integrity, which makes professional removal and remediation necessary.
ServiceMaster Remediation Services has compiled these differences between mold and mildew and the dangers they may present to your home and business.
Mildew is often used interchangeably with mold, but it is actually an early stage of mold. Mildew is that powdery, whitish-gray substance sometimes seen on plant leaves and can also grow on organic material, wood or fibrous items like:
Mildew is a surface fungus that grows on something wet and can easily be removed or wiped off, unlike mold. Mildew is not dangerous on its own, but it can help building owners locate a water leak or a water-damaged area.
Mold comes in a variety of colors, commonly appearing brown, black, green or gray. Mold can be fuzzy, flat or slimy and can develop on grout, tile and other surfaces in moist areas, humid spaces and those with inadequate ventilation indoors. Mold commonly develops in:
- Bathrooms (on the bathtub, grout, sinks, showers and tiles)
- Outside areas like decks or fences
Unlike mildew, mold penetrates the surfaces it grows on. This necessitates immediate mold removal by professionals as it can be a difficult task. Exposure to mold and its spores could trigger allergies and asthma and aggravate existing respiratory conditions.
Mold Versus Mildew
Mildew is a fungus of flat growth and is non-penetrative, while mold encompasses all microscopic fungi and grow on any organic matter. They both produce a musty odor.
- Can cause or worsen health conditions.
- Is penetrative, making it difficult to remove.
- Cannot be removed with bleach.
- Has a fuzzy or slimy texture.
- Is non-penetrative.
- Grows on surfaces in warm, moist areas.
- Is gray, yellow or white in appearance.
- Is fluffy or powdery in texture.
Why Get Professional Mold Remediation?
- Unchecked mold and mildew growth can cause health issues and physical damage to a structure.
- Avoiding further damage necessitates locating the source of the mold problem and getting it mitigated right away.
- Only the right approach and equipment will be effective in removing penetrative mold growth, which is why hiring a professional is essential.
Make an Appointment for Mold Remediation Today
- Independently owned business in Pompano Beach, Florida
- Certified General Contractor in the state of Florida (CGC1522819)
- Licensed Mold Remediators in Florida (MRSR97)