Floods often happen in Florida, surrounded by water and often on the Atlantic hurricane path. Floods can happen in an instant, leading to the destruction of property and infrastructure, loss of lives, and health risks from waterborne diseases. They can cause structural and electrical damage to homes and commercial properties, which could worsen as long as the damage isn’t properly restored or repaired.
Restoration and cleanup companies like ServiceMaster Remediation Services know the right way to handle property damage after a flood or any other water damage event. Before the professionals arrive, there are some actions that a property owner may take to save as much of the structure and personal belongings as possible.
To Dos After a Flood
- Check for safety hazards. Some questions you could use to assess the damage and ensure your safety are the following:
- Is your home structurally secure? Flood damage can affect floors and foundations which can threaten the stability of your home. Contact the authorities to perform a safety inspection before entering the building.
- Is your power still on? Floods can damage your electrical systems and can cause electrical shocks. Check with your local power provider before entering your house, especially if the water level exceeds the height of your outlets.
- Is there a gas leak? Floods can affect gas lines, and gas leaks are extremely hazardous to health. If you suspect a gas leak, do not enter your home and call your utility company right away.
- Is the flood water contaminated? Floodwater often contains bacteria and sewage, putting your health at risk. As much as possible, contact with floodwaters must be avoided. If there is a need to wade through floodwaters, proper protective equipment must be worn at all times. Contact a professional right away.
- Remove items within your reach. After an all-clear signal is given by the authorities and you are allowed to return to your home, remove as many items as possible to prevent further damage and increase the possibility of them being repaired or restores. Be careful when dealing with electronics, as they may create electric shock if powered up or plugged in, especially those submerged in water. Immediately dry recovered items to prevent additional water damage and mold growth, then store them in a dry and secure area.
- Extract water and prevent mold. While waiting for the professionals to perform thorough extraction, drying, and cleanup, remove as much water as possible using a wet vacuum or a submersible pump. Also, keep the humidity level of your home as low as possible when drying. Speed up the drying process by increasing ventilation by opening as many doors and windows as you can and running dehumidifiers and fans.
- Clean, sanitize, and restore. After drying out the affected areas, including water-damaged carpets, drywall, and wood beams, perform initial cleaning and sanitation of surfaces to prevent mold growth as well as diseases and infections. Professionals such as ServiceMaster Remediation Services have the equipment to perform all necessary cleanup, sanitation, and restoration of flood-damaged areas and items, including carpets, furniture, and building materials.
- Keep a running inventory. Document all damages by taking pictures or videos and keeping a record of any estimates and receipts for repairs or restorations for the insurance claim process.
Professional Water Damage Restoration Process in Boca Raton, Florida
- Emergency Contact – Contact ServiceMaster Remediation Services at 954-969-5906 or schedule an appointment online.
- Inspection and Assessment – Our trusted Estimator will perform a thorough examination of the affected area using specialized moisture-detection meters, probes, and sensors in determining the class, category, and extent of the water damage. Your Project Manager will always keep in touch with us and explain in detail every step of the way to get an overview of the damage and a recommended action plan.
- Water Removal – Our technicians will remove standing, trapped, and hidden water from your property using truck-mounted extractors.
- Structural Drying and Dehumidification – We utilize a combination of dehumidifiers and negative air machines to remove moisture from the air.
- Cleaning and Deodorization – Our company utilizes thermal fog, hydroxyl generators, and air scrubbers to clean, sanitize, and deodorize your home or property.
- Restoration and Repairs – We are a licensed General Contractor in the state of Florida and can perform repairs, restoration and remodeling if necessary.
Contact ServiceMaster Remediation Services for Water Damage Restoration in Boca Raton, Florida
Experience professional flood cleanup and expert guidance from a trusted company in Southeast Florida. ServiceMaster Remediation Services is a full-service property restoration and cleaning company servicing both residential and commercial properties in Boca Raton, Florida, and surrounding areas. We have a genuine commitment to getting you and your property to safety after a flood. Our team will handle the initial assessment, water extraction, and drying using the industry’s latest procedures and practices and state-of-the-art equipment and cleaning products. We also hold the Franchise License for ServiceMaster Professional Cleaning, a full-service residential carpet, and upholstery cleaning company.
Contact ServiceMaster Remediation Services at (954) 969-5906 or message us online to schedule an appointment. We offer a FREE on-site inspection and estimate and are on-call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.